_Photo by Claudio Schwarz | @purzlbaum on Unsplash_
Free and open source operating systems for mobile platforms matter
In fact, there are two players on the OS market for mobile devices (smartphones and tablets)
- Apple with iOS
- Google with Android
Microsoft tried to play in the market but Microsoft Mobile is not so popular as the above.
But the problem with iOS and Andoid mostly lays down with users privacy. These
big companies collects users' data and info, analyze them, creates users' social portfolios, analyze behaviors etc. All for good :), of course.
Almost all our private life, our privacy belongs to
big brothers companies which produce and operates popular mobile operating systems.
In the world of free and open source Operating Systems users have control over OSes. It could be audited by an user, it could be modified, it could be quited.
List of open source OS for mobile devices (smartphones and tablets)
GNU +Linux based
- PureOS - developed by Purism company, based on Debian
- Plasma Mobile - project of KDE team
- postmarketOS - based on Alpine Linux
- Ubuntu Touch by UBports - continuation of Canonical's Ubuntu Touch project
- Tizen - developed by Samsung Corp., now coordinates by Linux Foundation; seems to be not active
Android based / deGooglised
Disclaimer: Some of them are partially open source, some not fully removed proprietary blobs